Subject: Re: xcoff files
To: None <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/1999 13:43:08
In <Pine.SOL.3.96.990626195409.27785A-100000@marcy.nas.nasa.gov>
wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov wrote:

> > Well, I think that to make a simple "rawrite" utility for MacOS
> > is enough, though I'm not using MacOS usually...
>
> I think it would be lacking in the simplicity department. Linux doesn't
> need it, why should we? :-)

Um, but I doubt that Linux people have tried to boot its kernel
from ext2fs on a bootable floppy... We have the way.

"Drag and drop netbsd.xcf file to a hfs floppy icon" is a bit easier
than "drag and drop boot.fs file to a rawrite utility icon",
but I don't think that's the matter :-)
On i386, we use rawrite.exe on DOS (or /bin/dd on netbsd?).

> Can I get a copy of the setup you used to do this?

Ok, I will send you it in a separate mail.

> In general, I agree. But for an install kernel, I think it's fine to not
> be able to read the initial kernel. :-)

For developers, it's easier to copy a new kernel to ffs floppy
than to glue the kernel to boot-loader. :-)
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp