Subject: Re: xcoff files
To: None <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/26/1999 10:37:11
In <Pine.SOL.3.96.990625132717.21272B-100000@marcy.nas.nasa.gov>
wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov wrote:

> Older macppc firmware can only reliably boot xcoff files. I'd like to be
> able to let people download files, throw them on a MacOS floppy, and then
> boot them. Thus for the older machines, they'd need to be xcoff files
> (well one of them).

I had made such an xcoff kernel to boot it from hfs floppies
before Tsubai made bootable FD images... (about a year ago?)

> So how can I make them? objcopy can turn an elf file into an xcoff one,
> but those files don't work - I get "bad o_magic" errors. Todd suggests
> that the problem's that objcopy can't merge sections.

`hack-coff' program in linuxppc is required to boot an xcoff kernel
from old powermac Openfirmware. There are some related mails:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-powerpc/1997/12/13/0001.html
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp