Subject: Re: xcoff files
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/25/1999 23:24:47
On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> In <Pine.SOL.3.96.990625132717.21272B-100000@marcy.nas.nasa.gov>
> wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov wrote:
>
> I had made such an xcoff kernel to boot it from hfs floppies
> before Tsubai made bootable FD images... (about a year ago?)

Yes, and this afternoons adventuring has reminded me of what you had done.
:-)

> > So how can I make them? objcopy can turn an elf file into an xcoff one,
> > but those files don't work - I get "bad o_magic" errors. Todd suggests
> > that the problem's that objcopy can't merge sections.
>
> `hack-coff' program in linuxppc is required to boot an xcoff kernel
> from old powermac Openfirmware. There are some related mails:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-powerpc/1997/12/13/0001.html

Right. I found it, and have gotten it going.

For now my thought is to make an ofwboot.xcoff or ofwboot.xcf, so we can
do the MacOS bootfloppy trick. Later on, doing something like the Linux
single-file-boots trick might be neat. They just insert a .gz'd image into
one section of the file, and go from there. :-)

And or make an elf2xcoff program. Feed it an elf program, and it'll spit
out an xcoff, with all the correct magic. :-)

Take care,

Bill