Subject: Re: Dual Booting NetBSD1.4 and MacOS
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/25/1999 13:56:48
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Dan Winship wrote:

> > The problem is that both filesystems which read HFS files (and AFAIK the
> > only HFS+ one) are under licenses which can't get in the tree.
>
> Wasn't there an hfs written for NetBSD/mac68k that just never got
> beyond the "really flaky" stage?

Yes, and I worked on it, and there's a reason I didn't mention it. :-)

Paul Goyette and I worked on porting macfs to NetBSD. It was an
hfs-reading fs written for mach. We got it to where it would work, but we
were doing something wrong with not clearing out vnodes. It worked in
single user, but died in multi-user.

The problem is that due to licensing restrictions, its as unacceptable in
the kernel as GPL. It wants a message printed at boot, and also it
prohibits use by the military. Irrigardless of what you think of the
military, that's not an acceptable license.

Also, macfs never claimed to be able to write. hfsfs and Aplpe's hfs
should be able to write safely. :-)

Take care,

Bill