Subject: Re: non-ofw kernels [was Re: NetBSD/G3 upgrade]
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/23/1999 13:25:41
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> Which reminds me, what's the best way to build up a table with information
> about NuBus cards?  Is there a standard address in each space that you can
> probe and find out whether there's a card there and if so, what it is?  Is
> there a way of doing it without triggering a bus error (I haven't been
> able to find a way to trap TEA->Machine Check on PPC...).  Maybe I should
> ask this on port-mac68k....

I think the way is to call badaddr on the address. badaddr interacts with
the bus error handler so that a bus error generated by testing the address
is ok. i.e. badaddr returns true if accessing that address generates a bus
error. :-)

The exact mechanism varies from port to port, but that's the idea.

take care,

Bill