Subject: Re: your mail
To: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/23/1999 12:35:42
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, David Forbes wrote:

> According to 1.4 install doc Power Mac 601s are not supported.  Is there a
> fundamental reason for this or just that there's no demand/whatever?  A
> couple of people I know have just asked me this...would some be able to
> summarise for me what would be needed to be done to get it working, as
> they have a few of these machines available and nothing to run on them?

The fundamental problem is that no one has done it.

The problem's similar to one mac68k has encountered - to really get a
machine working you need both the to-be-fixed machine, and a working
development machine. Most folks have one or the other, not both.

Check the recent mailing list logs, we've been discussing this very issue.

Supporting machines like the 7500 - pci machines with a 601 - would only
need adding support for the 601 CPU. Adding support for NuBus machines
like the 7100 would also mean adding nubus support & making the kernel
work without Open Firmware.

Take care,

Bill