Subject: Re: non-ofw kernels [was Re: NetBSD/G3 upgrade]
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Browne <matthewb@ihug.co.nz>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/23/1999 12:40:08
At 1:52 PM -0700 on 6/22/99, Bill Studenmund wrote:

>I had a chat w/ Jason after sending that, and that's about what he said.
>He also suggested making it soemthing like:
>
>bandit* at mainbus?
>bart*   at mainbus?
>mpc*    at mainbus?
>
>pci*    at bandit? bus ?
>pci*    at mpc?
>
>nubus*  at bart?
>
>(bart was the name of the nubus controller on the 6100/7100/8100
>machines).

This sounds like a good plan but I don't believe bart is available on the
NuBus Performas or laptops. Perhaps there could be something else
vaguely like:

obio0         at pci? dev ? function ?
obio0         at mainbus?

intvid0	at obio?
nbusvid*	at nubus?

Then have some generic driver for things like video which would
mesh into exactly what the mac68K code does. e.g.

grf*	at intvid?
grf*	at nbusvid?

Also, I don't know how suitable BootX is for NuBus booting in it's
current state as it makes use of DriverServicesLib only available
on PCI machines.

Matt Browne