Subject: Re: NetBSD/G3 upgrade
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Browne <matthewb@ihug.co.nz>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/22/1999 20:37:25
At 12:02 PM +0900 on 6/22/99, Keiki_Sunagawa@yokogawa.co.jp wrote:

>I think the machines that have OF and haven't are different enough
>to support separately.  Since early PowerPC Macs without OF are
>similar to 68k Macs than ones have OF in hardware design, sharing
>divice driver on both type of PowerPC Macs is harder.

Well I'm only just finding my way round the sources but it seems to
me that this is sensible. There are just so many places that would
need changes to support the NuBus machines. One shared driver
that comes to mind is the Valkyrie video chip, available on both
NuBus systems and PCI systems. In the mac68K sources this is
detected as an obio device but the roughly equivalent code in the
macppc sources assumes Open Firmware support currently.

It could be changed but I think the kernel would grow quite
substantially.

Just my thoughts...

Matt Browne