Subject: Re: NetBSD/G3 upgrade
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/21/1999 13:55:08
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> 2) Get suport for the hardware in these beasts. Most of this can be stolen
> from port-mac68k. nubus would become an MI bus (moving from
> arch/mac68k/nubus to dev/nubus) and other bits of the hardare support
> would get shared. For now, a kernel compile could just reach into
> arch/mac68k.

And of course, don't forget MkLinux's Mach Kernel, BSD-like copyright and
all.  That could help with video support, DMA support, etc.  I
particularly like the simiplicity of the interrupt handling code, but I'm
not sure how well it would fit into NetBSD....

Word of warning: the 6100's, unless they have the NuBus adapter card, have
no BART NuBus controller, and accesses into that address space cause some
sort of exception (I haven't figured out what sort yet, but MkLinux hangs
if the driver is enabled).  If anybody has any suggestions on that, let me
know.

Likewise, if there are any questions or information you need about the
PDMs, feel free to email me and if I know or have a way of finding out, I
will.  :-)

David