Subject: Re: Please help the folks at Be...
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
From: Wes Horner <wesman@resnet.uoregon.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/21/1999 08:46:12
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> It's really pretty sad for them to claim that Apple won't provide them any
> hardware information.  Apple not only provides the info, they provide it
> as open source code to show specific examples of how to program the
> hardware.  You don't have to have a detailed schematic with pin
> configurations and the whole works to write an OS for a machine, as
> NetBSD, MkLinux, and LinuxPPC have proven for years.  If Be cared, they
> could do the same thing just as easily -- more easily, given that MkLinux,
> LinuxPPC, NetBSD-macppc, and now Darwin are sitting out there for the
> taking.  Thus, I can only assume that they don't care.  :-)
 I think Be took this stance because they had a commercial OS to support.
If you paid good money for it and then it didn't work as expected you
would be upstet and Be would have to support the OS on hardware that it
didn't have the specs for.  They can get the info they need from the
source from other projects but why should they have to.  They have no
interest in helping apple sell machines especially if they aren't being
met half way.

Its too bad becuase the powerpc and mac hardware is superior and would
work well with a modern os like BeOS.  Of course they could always make
the newer machines an unsupported configuration but I bet they don't
have the resources for that.

wes

~~~~wesman@gladstone.uoregon.edu~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vax  a viscious creature known to eat 110AC and quotes through its
*DCL*.  Vax are usually found in groups of Vaxen called clusters where
they lay in wait to ravage thier prey known as users.