Subject: Re: a bunch of macppc stuff
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/20/1999 14:07:49
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Dan Winship wrote:

> 1) I noticed today that I still have the "DELAY(1000) during
>    ahc_reset" patch in my kernel, and that I still get a trap 200 if I
>    remove it. I thought that was supposed to have been fixed some time
>    ago?

Evidently not. Does it have to be 1000?

> 2) After taking the Blue G3 firmware update on asu.info.apple.com, I
>    can boot off my SCSI drive and have it work. However, the IDE drive
>    still fails if I boot off that, and the bmac ethernet still fails
>    if I don't boot off it. (qv
>    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/1999/05/06/0006.html)

The bmac failing we haven't fixed yet. From what Charles said, we need to
open and close the bmac interface in OF at one point early in boot, or we
need to teach our pci system how to add hardware not configured by the
firmware.

> 3) If I plug my USB keyboard into my i386 notebook and plug a mouse
>    into the keyboard, they both get probed correctly, rather than
>    giving a uhub error and not finding the mouse, as happens on the
>    macppc. More Open Firmware probing lossage?

We don't use OF to probe the usb bus. Send a PR - there's somethign flakey
with ohic on the B&W G3's. I can't set the LED's if I don't have debugging
enabled (and the assosciated debugging printf's).

> 4) I think ofwboot.elf should be installed in /usr/mdec with ofwboot,
>    and if no one objects, I'll do that.

Right. Even though the newer firmware can load elf kernels directly, it
won't preserve the symbol tables, so we'll want to keep ofwboot.elf
around.

> 5) AFAICT, the 1.4 CD is not bootable under port-macppc, although if
>    you can boot ofwboot from somewhere, you can then tell ofwboot to
>    open "cd:0,/macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd-g.gz". ("netbsd-g.gz" is
>    the 8.3 filename equivalent of "netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz".)
>
>    Perhaps on the 1.5 CD (assuming there will be such a thing), we can
>    install a hacked ofwboot as /macppcboot or something, with the path
>    to the macppc install kernel hard-coded into it so that people
>    could just "boot cd:0,macppcboot". Of course, users would still
>    have to deal with getting into Open Firmware. It would be neat to
>    make the CD actually bootable without having to enter Open
>    Firmware, but that might require having an HFS partition, which
>    might not be possible. Anyone have any relevant clues?

I'm looking into what the CHRP machines will do with multi-boot. I think
we can support it easily. I'm not sure how to get the CD to be bootable if
we need MacOS - we'd need a license for that. :-(

But please look into it if you want!

>    It might also be useful to get BootVariables working on newer
>    machines if there's anyone out there with the relevant MacOS
>    programming clue. (I don't remember where the source comes from,
>    but it's out there on the net somewhere.)

I've never actually seen source for it. Have you?

Take care,

Bill