Subject: Re: NuBus in the FAQ
To: Matthew Browne <matthewb@ihug.co.nz>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/19/1999 17:55:25
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Matthew Browne wrote:

> The Performa/PowerMac 5200/6200 and 5300/6300 are also
> definitely NuBus based even though they don't have a NuBus slot.
>  From memory, all Performa's with the exception of one (I think
> either the 6400 or 6500 was PCI) were NuBus based machines.

Bzzt.  NuBus machines are:

PDM class       -- any x1xx machine, e.g. 6100, 6150, 7100, 8100, etc.
PERFORMA class  -- 52xx, 53xx, 62xx, 63xx
POWERBOOK class -- 1400, 2300, 5300

The POWERBOOK class is also frequently called M2, and the PDM class has a
few other names, but PDM is the most commonly heard term.

> I actually own a 6200 and would quite like getting NetBSD
> to boot on it, but I've never been able to find enough info
> about the hardware on these machines to know what
> additions/changes to make to the code.

There's not much info out there.  Look at the Mach Kernel sources in the
very latest sources (I'm working on support for that class under MkLinux,
but it's not bootable yet), then talk to the mac68k folks and ask them
about the Quadra 630 (I think), since it's basically the same motherboard.
Slightly different chip revisions, different video hardware, different
processor, and a bus bridge between the PowerPC bus and the motherboard's
040 bus.  Otherwise, it's basically a Quadra.

Later,
David