Subject: Re: notes from Apple's World Wide Developers' Conference, May 1999
To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
From: David Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/1999 13:13:48
On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >MK/Linux is Mach 3.0, but with everyone at Apple being busy with MacOS X,
> >support for this software is basically gone. I'd say, grab the sources
> >while they're still available online to use as a reference for those
> >PowerPC machines we don't yet support (e.g. the older NuBus machines and
> >non-OF PowerBooks).
>
> To my knowledge, Mach 2.5 is a temporary kernel, MacOS X final should be
> based on a modified version of Mach 3.0 with IOKit bringing hot-swap, RT
> perfs, etc...). Also, the current plans are to have this new kernel in
> Open Source too.

Also, the MkLinux sources aren't going anywhere.  There's a strong
developer community outside Apple that's continued development even with
limited Apple support.  We're operating a public CVS repository that's
housed on globegate.utm.edu (until we move it to MkLinux.org, hopefully
later this week, assuming the new DSL line gets installed as predicted.

David

David A. Gatwood
dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu
dgatwood@mklinux.org