Subject: Re: notes from Apple's World Wide Developers' Conference, May 1999
To: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/1999 17:03:57
>FireWire
(snip)
>The major issue for NetBSD here is implementation and support of hot-swap;
>something that UNIX is not designed for, but that we need to do for PCMCIA,
>USB, and now FireWire. Secondary issue is that FW supports isochronous
>protocols (i.e. guaranteed delivery of bits on the tick of a clock) and
>this means we need  device drivers with bounded-time interrupt response
>latency (i.e. guaranteed response time).

	You can find FireWire device driver for FreeBSD 2.2.x/3.x at
	http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/DVTS/.  If I remeber correctly this supports
	isochronous communication as well.  Though it supports limited set of
	chipsets, it should be a good start point.  There was a talk about
	this codebase at Usenix/Freenix99, by Katsushi Kobayashi.

itojun