Subject: Re: B&W keyboard stuff
To: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/10/1999 18:44:45
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > All you need to do is log into the machine once it's up (I have sshd
> > configured to run automatically :-)  and then type "wsconsctl -f
> > /dev/wskbd1 -a". This command prints out info about the keyboard, and has
> > the side effect of activating it.
>
> Turns out that didn't work for long. Just after I posted, there was an
> "ohci_process_done" debugging printf, and the keyboard died. :-(

There's more. The ohci_process_done error is where the kernel tried
unsuccessfully to update the LED's on the keyboard. Everything was fine
until then, and was fine when I rebooted.

So to clarify, there are two bugs:

1) the keyboard never gets turned on: to work around, use the wsconsctl
command I posted

2) The Apple USB keyboard freaks out occasionally when setting LED state.
This will happen if the first keypress isn't a non-printing key, and can
occasionally happen later.

Take care,

Bill