Subject: Booting a 7600/132, changing resolution, and mounting disks
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ove Edlund <ove.edlund@sm.luth.se>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/05/1999 00:35:15
Hi,

I have successfully installed the distribution sets for NetBSD 1.4 on a
7600/132. The thing is just that I can not boot with the kernel in the
binary set. When I try to, I get this output (sorry if there are any typos):

0 > boot scsi/sd@4:0
>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.1
>> (tsubai@mint.iri.co.jp, Mon May 10 19:46:09 JST 1999)
Booting scsi/sd@4/netbsd
1856444@0x100000+179560@0x2c53bc
 start=0x100000

Then it stops completely! I found a kernel named GENERIC_MD which sort of
works though. It is just that I have to use the '-a' option to boot from
the disk. This works but is not quite satisfactory. Does anyone know more
about this? I use 'kbd' as input device and '/chaos/control' as output
device.

X-windows works, but the resolution of the screen is just 640x480. Is it
possible to run NetBSD at a higher resolution, e.g. 1152x870? In that case,
how is it accomplished?

Finally, is it possible to mount an ext2-parition? I think I have read
somewhere that NetBSD/macppc does not recognise MacOS-partitions. Is it
still possible to mount, if the start block is known? Is it possible to
manually assign e.g. /dev/sd2d to a certain part of a disk?

Thank you for your patiense. I hope there are some answers to these newbie
questions.

Ove Edlund

Ove Edlund			PhoneNr: +46 920 91511
Department of Mathematics		E-mail: ove.edlund@sm.luth.se