Subject: Re: Keyboard on B/W G3 - This drives me nuts!
To: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/03/1999 10:03:48
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Hans-Christian Becker wrote:

> OK everyone, here is the update on my keyboard problems.
> (1) A GENERIC kernel built on my trusty 486 from yesterday's source
> attaches my USB keyboard, but refuses to accept any keypresses.
> (2) With both ADB and USB keyboards attached, I can't get into OF, so I set
> the startup disk to be the network.

I was able to get into OF with two keyboards, I thought...

> (3) With a dual-keyboard setup, the USB keyboard is attached to wskbd, and
> I can't type anything.

We don't deal with multiplexing keyboards well.

> (4) With _only_ the ADB keyboard, I can type in the name of the root
> device, but when the boot aborts with "rc.conf not configured", the
> keyboard stops working.
> I'm getting closer ;-)
> Could this really be a problem with binutils, as Tsubai suggested, or is it
> just my particular setup that behaves strange? BTW, if anyone could mail me
> (or point me to a site where I could grab) a kernel known to work with an
> USB keyboard, I would be most grateful.

I put my current macppc kernel at:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/wrstuden/netbsd.WD47 (Waterdeep 47)

I'm currently netbooting my B&W G3 with it, and using the usb keyboard.

This kernel still has the shift-must-be-first bug, and also has patches to
make it work with my buslogic scsi card. Well, to correct for the fact
that OF update 1.0.2 messes things up with this card. I think they
shouldn't cause a problem w/o one.

(they manually configure the pci-pci bridge to map more i/o space than
Apple does, but since nothing on pci0 would be at addresses this would
cover, you should be fine)

Let me know how it goes.

Take care,

Bill