Subject: 1.4 on G3 powerbooks?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@MR.Net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/19/1999 17:25:02
Hi,

	Has anyone been able to get the 1.4 boot floppy or network boot to
	work right on G3 powerbooks, 266MHz version if it matters?

	The floppy seems to boot the kernel but locks up almost immediately in
	sysinst. The network boot doesn't seem to grok the boot image transfer
	address and whines about some fault after burping out the ELF loading
	message.

	I've worked with Sun netbooting for over 15 years and it still took
	ALOT of tcpdumps and looking at LINUXPPC docs to figure out exactly how
	to get just the initial netboot going... B^(. Some precise examples
	might be good. I can understand the comments I received about getting
	out of the kitchen if its too hot when 1.4 was in beta but a cookbook
	netboot example for a RELEASE version of NetBSD/macppc would be nice...

	Since I can't burn my whole harddrive on NetBSD and NetBSD doesn't
	support MacOS partitioning, a Network Only client is about the only hope
	I have of playing with NetBSD/MacPPC, assuming the bad transfer address
	issue can be/has been figured out.

	Has ANYONE had success with G3 powerbooks as opposed to the Imacs or
	G3 desktop units?

		-Rob