Subject: Re: ofwboot.elf
To: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/18/1999 16:16:58
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Hans-Christian Becker wrote:

> Hi all!
> Could anyone be so kind and give me a brief description of the use of
> ofwboot.elf?

It's used for netbooting. AFAIK, ofwboot is a boot routine which will use
the open firmware routines to load a kernel. Among other things, it is
capable of dealing with an NFS-mounted filesystem.

The .elf means that it's an elf-format file. The other option is that it's
an ecoff (or is it xcoff) format file. These are different object file
formats, and certain loaders expect one or the other.

Hopefully others will fill in more info. I'm not sure what the difference
between bootxx and ofwboot are.

Take care,

Bill