Subject: non-netboot Blue G3s
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/06/1999 17:09:09
Has anyone managed to boot a Blue G3 off disk? I'm having two
different problems with it...

If I try to boot off my Adaptec card, it loads the kernel fine, but
then when it probes the card during configuration, it notices that the
card has already been initialized, says "using bios settings" and
starts failing from there. (It loses in exactly the same way even if I
hack the driver to bypass the check for if the card was already
initialized by the bios.) Does anyone know where I could get a copy of
Adaptec specs? I looked on their web and ftp sites, but didn't find
anything useful. Or is this strictly an openfirmware issue?

On the other hand, if I boot off the MacOS IDE drive, everything
probes fine, but when /etc/rc gets to initializing bm0, the machine
hangs. Debugging printfs show bmac_init looping forever on the "Wait
for reset completion" line.

(On the gripping hand, :) if I kill the bootpd on my network and type
"boot enet:0", wait for it to timeout, and then boot off the IDE
drive, everything works fine. It looks like the bm driver is relying
on some sort of initialization that openfirware does when it opens the
device.

I looked at the Darwin BMac driver, but I couldn't see anything
obvious that it was doing that our driver isn't. What spec was the
driver based on?

-- Dan

PS - Re: Bill's "unplug the mouse" mail: it should work if you plug
the mouse into the second USB port on the back of the mac instead of
into the keyboard. (And here I'd been thinking I just had a broken
keyboard... :-)

PPS - I submitted a PR about wheeled mice in Xmacppc
(port-macppc/7476) which got eaten by the netbsd-bugs mail gateway.