Subject: Re: Open Firmware via serial port
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/02/1999 20:38:34
*snip*

> I have no clue about the modem port, but I'd suggest not messing w/ it.
>
> What you want to do is get a copy of bootvariables, which I think comes
> from Apple. I've got version 1.3.
>
> It will let you much with all of the boot variables which OF will use.
>
> If you check the all variables option, you'll see lots of stuff. Two
> interesting ones are input-device and output-device. They default to
> "ttya" and "ttya". If you set them to "ttyb", then OFW should use the
> printer port. To boot my 8500, I set them to "kbd" and "/chaos/control"
> respectively, and it uses the screen (though there are problems - the
> screen is messy). I'm not sure what output-device you want for the screen.

Thanks very much...that worked great.  Once running off the printer cable,
I did a:

	setenv input-device kbd
	setenv output-device screen

Which works fine [my screen is slightly messy, but overall not too bad],
except for one thing.  I reboot my computer and go into OF and put the
bootfloppy in the drive.  I then do a:

	boot fd:0

Which gives me the usual "RESETting to change configuration!"  But when
the computer reboots, it gives the error message "CLAIM failed" and it
won't boot [even though the floppy disk is still in the drive].  If I
reset the computer to use ttyb, it will boot fine.  But for some reason,
it won't boot with the kbd/screen combination.  Any suggestions?

Thanks once more,

--fission