Subject: Re: PowerBook 3400 boot device?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/27/1999 18:27:13
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Michael Pederson wrote:
>
>> Also, (before I forget to bring it up again), how does NetBSD deal
>> with also having Apple/Linux partitions on the same disk?  Would
>> putting all of the NetBSD partitions in an area those consider unused
>> work (and vice versa)?  Or is there a more complex dance that needs
>> to be done here?
>
>It doesn't, at present. That's why I haven't installed it at home, where I
>have MacOS partitions. So you'll need to feed it the whole disk for now.
>:-(
>
>Once I get my G3 up, I'd like to work on this.

Bill,

One part of this may already be done with the work Colin Wood and I did
on sysinst for the mac68k port.  (I'll do anything to get away from the
old Mkfs application on MacOS!) My other motivation for working on this
was the same as yours - I'd like to share the disk on my G3 when NetBSD
will run on it for me.

It (sysinst) knows how to deal with the Disk Partition Map and since it
runs under NetBSD it should be able to handle both IDE and SCSI disks.
There's even an option in there to allow a user to dedicate the whole
disk to NetBSD just like the i386 port does.  And I think we came up with
a pretty simple way of dealing with the partitioning making it pretty
user friendly which is important for many first time users coming from
the MacOS environment.

-bob

BTW, Colin Wood deserves the lion share of the credit for the work on
sysinst/mac68k.  I may have provided the first cut at the code, but he
made it run!