Subject: boot floppy troubles
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/08/1999 20:15:03
I seem to be having a lot of trouble installing NetBSD on my 8500/132 via
the boot floppy method.

When I try using the latest floppy image (bootfloppy-990220.fs), it gets as
far as trying to write the disklabel/newfs.  When it reaches this stage, it
fails (the sysinst.log file says that it can't write to fstab).  If I
manually try the same operations from /bin/sh it works fine (so I know it's
not my hardware).

Then I tried the next-most recent floppy image (bootfloppy-990119.fs) and
this just panics after the "Terminal type? [vt100]" prompt (no description,
just "panic:" repeated until I reboot).

The floppy image before that (bootfloppy-981023.fs) is similar, it doesn't
respond after the "Terminal type? [vt100]" prompt.

Any suggestions?

Also, I can't get OpenFirmware to display properly on my monitor (it
doesn't sync up).  I'm using an Apple 16" display (823x624).  I was kinda
hoping that the NetBSD kernel would know about /chaos/control and work
right.

Thanks,
  -- MW