Subject: iMac install kernel from 19990119 snapshot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <scott@cybersource.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/23/1999 08:14:14
	... doesn't seem to work.  The boot loader loads it fine, I get
the copyright banner, and it hangs.  I did however get the netbsd.ram.gz
kernel from `/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/imac' (or something) to work but it
apparently doesn't support wd0 yet.  Is this support in the 19990119
snapshot's kernel?

	I also have a question regarding root mount point.  I am using
bootp under Solaris which doesn't seem to support an entry for root
filesystem.  Can I specify this somehow?

	If anyone is wondering, this is what I did to get the machine to
netboot: (replace the string `floobie' with whatever your client host name
is)

 * add entry to /etc/ethers - format: mac_addr fl00bie
 * add entry to /etc/hosts - format: ip_addr fl00bie.blah.com fl00bie
 * uncomment bootps and tftp entries in /etc/inetd.conf then -HUP inetd
 * mkdir /tftpboot (if you're using Solaris for some damn reason you have
   to do ``mkdir -p /tftpboot/tftpboot'' or the read request times out)
 * put ofwboot.elf in tftpboot (if Solaris, it goes in /tftpboot/tftpboot)
 * add entry to /etc/bootptab ->

fl00bie:\
        :bf=/tftpboot/ofwboot.elf:\
        :hn:ht=ether:\
        :ha=000502BD31C5:\
        :ip=10.2.5.20:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :bs=auto:

 * go to openfirmware on the client and type ``boot enet:0''
 * for fun, run ``snoop -x host fl00bie''

Later,
Scott

--
scott@cybersource.com