Subject: Re: How to netboot?
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/21/1999 12:15:00
>What is the config on your boot server, which OF version do you have and
>wht do you type in the OFW console?

	486, NetBSD 1.3H, bootp and tftp enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.  My
bootptab line is:

PowerBook:hn:ht=ethernet:ha=xxxxxxxxxxxx:ip=192.168.42.11:\
	:bf=/POWERBOOK:rp=/POWERBOOK/root

And /tftpboot/POWERBOOK is my (uncompressed) NetBSD kernel.

	When I drop into OF I see:
Open Firmware, 2.0.1
[...]
0 > _
	Then I type "boot enet" and see:
0 > boot enet file: 192.168.42.8,/POWERBOOKLoading ELF
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at   %SRR0: FF80AFD0   %SRR1: 0000B070
 ok
0 > _

	And that's as far as I can get.

	If you have any other devices on your network that respond to
bootp requests it might be your problem.  My DSL router wound up in a
bootp relay mode, and tcpdump saw responses coming both from my 486 and
the router, and the PowerBook got confused and refused to load the file
(don't remember exactly how it was failing).  Disconnected my router from
the LAN and the PowerBook booted.  Later figured out how to actually
turn off the relay.  So you might want to try having just your PowerBook
and i386 connected, in case some other device is confusing things.

                                                          Will Ferry

woferry@iname.com