Subject: How to netboot?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, tsubai@iri.co.jp, tege@matematik.su.se>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/21/1999 03:26:11
Hi,

there is no information on *.netbsd.org how a OF-Mac can be netbooted. I
searched Apple's TIL site but this showed me how to klick that on MOSXServer.

I have a NetBSD/i386 box (alice) where I have a working (?) tftpd.
It seems to work:!?

dave@cat>tftp alice
tftp> verbose
Verbose mode on.
tftp> binary
mode set to octet
tftp> get boot.fs
getting from alice.turbocat.de:boot.fs to boot.fs [octet]
Received 1474560 bytes in 6.4 seconds [1843200 bits/sec]
tftp> quit
dave@cat>

In my view, it should be possible to boot a powerbook G3 (new current model)
via ethernet. My problem is:

* I do not have the right kernel? (I have boot.fs and
netbsd-macppc-generic-19981221)
* I do not know what to type in the OF-Console

Is there nobody out there who can help me? What is different on an iMac here?

BTW:I have linuxppc on this box on another partition. does this help?
---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION
           WATCH OUT FOR TURBOFAX for OPENSTEP!