Subject: Re: New G3 PB?
To: David Wetzel <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/1999 18:21:03
David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de> wrote:

>> From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
>
>> Hum, I beleive the blue G3 doesn't need BootX at all, there is a
>> perfectly working implementation of OF on this machine.
>
>Does this mean that I have to boot MacOS 8.x every time before booting
>NetBSD just as I did in the old days on my Amiga 3000?
>
>My plan is to install MacOS 8.x, Mac OS X Server (for WebObjects etc) and
>NetBSD.
>It would be nice to have a boot menu. Is this possible?
>
>Or can you tell the OF-to boot Partition# 1, 2 or 3?
>
>I have never booted such a power-toy :-)

I think situations like this are one reason why a Booter like BootX could
be useful. The other is for those ppc macs that don't have OF or have one
that isn't fully capable.  My "old" 603e PPC Mac doesn't have OF but I
have hopes of eventually running NetBSD on it once the macppc port picks
up a bit more momentum.  A similar thing happened on the mac68k port
where the more popular models were supported first followed by the less
common models.

-bob