Subject: video support on the 7300?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McIntosh <rockford@oasis.novia.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/1999 00:46:51
Hi.  I've had NetBSD running on my 7300/200 since August, using the serial
port as the console.  I've tried to keep up-to-date using SUP and the binary
snapshots.  I've looked into the kernel source, but I'm basically a
beginner in this realm.

My question is: what is the status of video support for the 7300
(/chaos/control)?  I see that there is some code to support it (ofb.c), but
so far all I get is a blank white screen.  Setting 'input-device' and
'output-device' to 'kbd' and '/chaos/control' doesn't change anything.

It may help to know that I've never had any luck with accessing Open Firmware
from the console.  I've gotten the impression that some people have been
able to get this to work.  I tried the patch available on the LinuxPPC site,
but that didn't seem to work either.  I'm assuming my problem may have to
do with the fact that I'm using a PC monitor via one of those Interex VGA
adapters.

Am I getting the expected results in this situation, or is there work to be
done here?  I'm very interested in getting into the kernel source, so if there
is anything I can do to help, please let me know!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Tim McIntosh
(rockford@novia.net)