Subject: Re: "Blue & White" G3 (long)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: J. David Blackstone <jxb9451@omega.uta.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/07/1999 20:52:54
>   Yup.  I have a PowerBook G3 as well, so I was able to do compiles and
> look at assembler output and such on it and keep throwing kernels at my
> Blue&White to see what changed (hence the #33 in the kernel header, I'm
> over 100 now I think..  =)
>
>   This is definitely not the correct fix.  But I do not know what that
> would be.  I'll defer this to someone who knows more about what's going
> on here (but would be happy to test any code / kernels anybody wants to
> throw my way)  In general I think it's probably a problem with how
> NetBSD/macppc currently handles (or doesn't handle) bridges.  There is
> no pci_bridges[] entry set up for the 21154 (as far as I can tell),
> since bandit.c:scan_pci_devs() only looks at the top level of the OFW
> tree.  I tried forcing it to look at /pci/pci-bridge, and filled out
> the entry for pci_bridges[1], but I am not sure if the information is
> correct (iot == 6800?  The rest seems sane compared to the values in
> pci_bridges[0]), and it still gives trap 200's on bus 1 device 2 when
> it uses pci_bridges[1].  I think it's safe to say this is out of my
> league, I've just been trying to feed it some numbers that make more
> sense, and I'm running out of ideas.
>
>   And thanks to the diff Tsubai pointed out, I can now type at the root
> device prompt.  I'll try to take a look at what's going wrong with bm0
> so that I can actually NFS boot this machine.

  I've been trying for several months to decide which new Mac to buy,
and running NetBSD is my main priority.  I've looked at nearly every
system that's come out in the last year (and every month I become
happier that I have waited so long).

  I don't know anything about kernel programming and such, and I don't
know nearly enough about UNIX administration to understand a lot of
things I hear.  Can someone give me some nontechnical answers to a
couple of questions?

   1) If I buy a new blue G3 or an iMac, I have to netboot it, right?
Is there any way at all I can boot one of these systems without another
computer?  What system would allow me to boot without netbooting?

   2) I understand that some (or all?) machines require you to attach a
terminal, or something like that.  I really need to have a machine that
will run without my having to have additional hardware.  Do the new G3s
and the iMac have this requirement?  How can I find out which systems
have this requirement and which don't?

   3) Do I need to compile my own kernel on a separate machine in order
to boot some of these machines?  I realize that this is a thing that
will probably change in the future as more information gets integrated
and a standard power mac version of NetBSD comes out.

   4) Would buying a new blue G3 satisfy my desire to run NetBSD without
needing to buy another computer?  If not now, can I expect it to
sometime in the future?

   5) I'm a programmer and love both the Mac and UNIX, but I have very
little systems programming experience and next to no knowledge of UNIX
kernel internals.  What's the best way to equip myself to help out with
this project?  Is there a good book or website out there?  Should I try
to read the NetBSD source code?  I realize this is probably something I
should have learned somewhere else and probably shouldn't ask on this
list, but I would love to buy one of these new blue things and be able
to help make NetBSD run on it.

  If someone can give me some nontechnical answers, I'd be very
grateful.  I'm trying to educate myself enough to not feel quite so
lost; please bear with me while I display my ignorance.

  Above all, thanks to everyone who is working to bring UNIX to the
entire Macintosh world.  Your work is greatly appreciated.

J. David Blackstone
jxb9451@omega.uta.edu
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1341