Subject: Re: "Blue & White" G3 (long)
To: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/07/1999 13:59:37
I also just recently got a new G3 and have been working on it. But it
looks like you've gotten farther than I did.

When I try to boot a -current GENERIC kernel, I get:

pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
pci1 i/o enabled, memory enabled
Texas Instruments product 0x8000 (Firewire serial bus, revision 0x02) at pci1 dev 0 function 0 not configured
CMD Technology PCI0646 (IDE mass storage, interface 0x8f, revision 0x05) at pci1 dev 1 function 0 not configured
trap type 200 at 253008
Stopped in  at  0x223dd8:    lwz r0, r1, 0x14,
db>

Is this one of the problems you mentioned? I couldn't get a stack
trace because it wasn't listening to my keyboard.

With the 19990119 INSTALL_IMAC kernel I got as far as the "terminal
type" prompt, but again, I couldn't type anything, and it hadn't
configured anything beyond the pci bridge. With the 19990119 GENERIC
kernel, I saw the "shimmering" cursor (but otherwise had the same
problems as the INSTALL_IMAC kernel).

I was going to try booting the kernel from the 0220 floppy, but I
don't seem to be able to vnconfig the floppy image successfully on an
i386 to get the kernel out of it.

-- Dan