Subject: Fail to boot on wd0 G3MT266
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Yoshihisa Sugimoto <sugimoto@sums.shiga-med.ac.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/23/1999 22:37:44
Hi,

  I'm trying to install 990119 sets of macppc port on G3MT266. At first I tr
ied to install to an external SCSI disk, but failed to install because of, I
guess, mesh scsi driver error. During the booting messages around the SCSI d
rives, several lines of messages as follows were displayed.
XXX XXX XXX xfer_cnt=1 resid=7
In this trial, disklabel did not complete at all. Although I tried several t
imes, the results were the same.
I gave up to install into SCSI disk. I tried to install into the internal ID
E drive. I provided the entire disk to NetBSD. According to the description
on http://www.ki.nu/softwares/NetBSD/PowerPC/, I succeeded to install all fi
les into the wd0a and wd0g. Then I did /usr/mdec/installboot according to th
e instructions and rebooted.
In OF,
>setenv boot-file /netbsd
>boot ide0/disk@0:0   can't OPEN: ide0/disk@0:0

I tried "ide0/disk@0,0:0", "ide0/disk@0,0" or so on. The messages were "can'
t OPEN xxx".

ide0    /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
ide     /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
ata-int /pci/mac-io/ide@20000

>dev ide0
>ls
Children of the node:

FE83C2D0:       /ide@20000      [heathrow-ata]

Node Adr        Node Name       Compatible

FE83E028        /disk@0,0

I read some info from LinuxPPC homepage such as
> For Apple G3 desktops/minitowers, the settings should be:
>
> boot-device    ide0/disk@0:Y (Y is the partition # of root)
> boot-file      ide0/disk@0:Y/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hdaY

I'd like to know how to boot from the internal IDE on G3MT. Are there any in
fomation about it?

Thanks in advance,

--
Yoshihisa Sugimoto, M.D., Ph. D.
Medical Information Center / First Deaprtment of Medicine