Subject: A little further with install
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/22/1999 19:30:52
I want to thank Tsubai for makeing the 990220 bootfloppy. With it I can
get a bit further with installing on my 8500. Unfortunatly the install
still doesn't like me. :-(

With the new, smaller font, I can get sysinst to run. Unfortunatly sysinst
doesn't seem to be able to have other commands work right. Also, there
seems to be a glitch in the partition table entry code.

Partition entry: I decided to do a custom partition. I entered everything
in cylinders, to avoid rounding errors. I set up a root, a swap, and a usr
partition. Then, as I hadn't used up all of the space on my disk, I added
a /y1 and a /y2 partition. sysinst added them on partitions f and g.
Unfortunatly in putting /y2 on g, it overwrote the /usr partition it had
written on g! I was able to manually add a d partition with the settings
appropriate for /usr, and move on. But it should have gotten this right.
:-(

Then when it went to newfs the partitions, it failed. [path?]newfs
[option?] /dev/rsd1a failed, as did the newfs on rsd1d, rsd1f, and rsd1g.
The reason was that the disklabel didn't write. I had to use disklabel -i
to generate a diskabel. But even then the newfs's didn't work.

Also, if I tried to "update" after manually creating the disklabel and
successfully newfs'ing all the partitions, sysinst complained that
/sbin/fsck_ffs -f /dev/rsd1a returned error code 1. From the command line
it worked fine!

Any thoughts?

Take care,

Bill