Subject: Re: some observations on the peripheral market
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Wesley Horner <wesman@azrael.uoregon.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/1999 15:25:10
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> Just FYI, the other thing that Apple showed at MacWorld was netbooted MacOS
> X (formerly known as "Rhapsody"), which they said was done using IP
> protocols: bootp, DHCP, etc. I bet they also used AppleShare IP for the
> filesystem, though I couldn't get information on that point.

They were actually booting mac os 8.5 from a macosX server machine.  It
uses bootp and tftp to boot the os.  The filesystems were afp volumes
mounted over ip.  I insisted they reboot one of the iMacs so I could watch
the evet and from the users side it looks like it's booting from the hard
drive except that it isn't spinning.

wes

~~~~wesman@gladstone.uoregon.edu~~~~~~~~~~NeXTMail OK!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vax  a vicious creature known to eat 110AC and quotes through its
*DCL*.  Vax are usually found in groups of Vaxen called clusters where
they lay in wait to ravage thier prey known as users.