Subject: Re: Netbooting the iMac
To: Sebastian Lederer <sleder2s@ux-2s02.inf.fh-rhein-sieg.de>
From: Wesley Horner <wesman@azrael.uoregon.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/03/1998 07:59:23
I think the iMac will net boot.  In fact when I tried linux kernels
(didn't have a netbsd one at the time) it gave the exact same results you
were saying the cd gave you.  Double check your bootp server.  We screwed
up the fist time setting it up and spent a lot of time to discover what
was a typo.  Our bootptab looks like this

imac:bf=/tftpboot/g3installer.coff:dn=dogcow.org:ds=10.0.1.4:gw=10.0.1.4:ha=00.0
5.02.D3.CC.F7:ip=10.0.1.22:sm=255.255.255.0:ht=ether:bs=auto:

We also hav the tftp server setup on the same machine.  In this instance
we are trying to load a coff kernel.  I can't recall what the difference
was but the iMAc did react differently to coff kernels than it did to elf
kernels.  The OF device tree pretty much shows what the OF will know about
i.e.  iso-9660 filesystems etc.

Here is a web page we made about the iMac Open Firmware that has most of
the device tree in it.
http://azrael.uoregon.edu/imac

wes

~~~~wesman@gladstone.uoregon.edu~~~~~~~~~~NeXTMail OK!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vax  a vicious creature known to eat 110AC and quotes through its
*DCL*.  Vax are usually found in groups of Vaxen called clusters where
they lay in wait to ravage thier prey known as users.