Subject: Netbooting the iMac
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sebastian Lederer <sleder2s@ux-2s02.inf.fh-rhein-sieg.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/01/1998 12:20:45
Hi,

I'm trying to netboot NetBSD on an iMac. So far, I've set up a
bootp/tftp/nfs server on a FreeBSD PC, and configured it to load the
"ofwboot" boot loader via tftp. This is already working, but the iMac's
OpenFirmware expects ELF images, and the ofwboot program has its elf
header stripped, so after loading the ofwboot file, the iMac just
complains about an invalid header and sits idle.
As far as I can see from the Makefiles, the ofwboot program is first
built as "ofwboot.elf" with the elf header intact, which is then copied
to "ofwboot" with the elf header removed. The corresponding directory is
/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/stand/ofwboot, although I don't know where the
files are actually built (maybe in the compile directory?).

Now the question is, could somebody possibly post this "ofwboot.elf"
file somewhere so that I can access it?

Many thanks in advance,
Sebastian Lederer

PS: If somebody can think of another way to boot NetBSD on the iMac
(except soldering a floppy connector onto the mainboard), I'd also like
to hear it...