Subject: Re: dial up with ppp
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/29/1998 17:43:50
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Guy Santiglia wrote:

> I'm trying to get my mac quadra 610 to dial up my isp.  But as of yet
                           ^^^^^^^^^^
As this is an m68k mac, port-mac68k would be a better place to raise this
issue. :-)

> have not managed the task.
> I get a connection script error.  The modem never dials the isp
> number..  I  tried to follow some one's intructions from a bsd "how to
> list"

It'd really depend on the instructions.

> 1.  Does any one know how i can send simple cammands to the modem to
> make sure things are working OK and try to isolate the problem?

Try tip. man tip should tell you more. I _think_ that you'd want

tip -<speed> com0

where <speed> is the desired baud rate, like 9600, 19200, 28800...

com0 is defined in /etc/remote to use the /dev/tty00 device, which is the
modem port (for both mac68k and macppc).

Technical asside: the important part of the com0 line in /dev/tty00 is
":dc:" which says it's a directly-connected device. If this weren't there,
the tip command would wait for someone else to dial in and the modem to
indicate that it's detected a carrier.

> 2.  Does any one have different instructions to follow for setting up
> dial up ppp with NetBSD 1.3.2?

There are a couple of ppp kits on ftp.macbsd.com, which I think are also
on ftp.netbsd.org. Paul Goyette and I made them, and they work fairly well
for us.

We will be able to help you much more if you use one of these kits.

Take care,

Bill