Subject: Re: kernel build ok?
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: J Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/1998 22:44:56
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, J Rizzo wrote:
>
> > However, when I try to build a kernel with sources supped September 9, I
> > get this:
> >
> > cc  -O2 -pipe -Werror -Wreturn-type -Wno-main -msoft-float -I. -I../../../../arch -I../../../.. -nostdinc -DSYSVMSG -DSYSVSEM -DSYSVSHM -DLKM -DDIAGNOSTIC -DDEBUG -DTRAP_PANICWAIT -DCOMPAT_43 -DFFS_EI -DIPFILTER_LOG -DNMBCLUSTERS="0x400" -DMAXUSERS=32 -D_KERNEL  -Dmacppc  -c ../../../../arch/powerpc/powerpc/bcopy.c
> > cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> > ../../../../arch/powerpc/powerpc/bcopy.c:80: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `memcpy'
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Now, I see that bcopy.c hasn't changed (on ftp.netbsd.org, anyway) since
> > sometime in  April.  Am I doing something wrong?  I've never before
> > attempted to use a port this relatively early in the bootstrapping stage,
> > but it looks good so far.
>
> Did you re-config?
>
> We're in the process of changing from bcopy to memXXX functions, so bcopy
> is now a define to memcpy. So the compiler thinks you are trying to
> re-define a function whic is defined as a built-in.
>
> The solution's to no compile this file. :-)
>
> I think a re-config should help you.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Well, I did actually try a reconfig, but I did not actually rebuild config
itself, so I thought I'd give it a shot...  and just to make sure, I
re-installed the 19980808 snapshot, giving myself a totally clean system,
rebuilt config from sources supped today, and tried to build a kernel from
sources ALSO supped today.  No dice - same error.  I'm wondering if others
building macppc perhaps have some local changes that haven't made it into
the main tree...?

(Incidentally, my original message took over two days to appear on the
list... what's up?)

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz