Subject: Re: Making a disk bootable
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/05/1998 05:09:12
Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> I've been playing with macppc on my G3 DT machine on and off over the last
> few months.
>
> Using a miniroot disk image, I have a bootable disk, which I can access from
> the machine when it is running Linux-ppc, which I have used for installing
> kernels that I build under Linux.  These kernels are bootable,
> and with the latest mesh driver from nandra, I can actually access the disk.

Wait.  Let me get this straight: Your machine is an Apple Power Macintosh G3
desktop machine?  And you're saying "latest mesh driver from nandra" ...
this implies that there is now a working MESH SCSI driver that will work on a
G3 box?!?  I had not seen any mention of this by Tsubai in the port-macppc
archives, so reading this came as a bit of a shock!  :-)

(Tsubai, you might want to change your NetBSD/macppc Web page links?  Or maybe
 update the ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/floppy/ directory to
 hold the newer boot.fs/boot.fs.gz from August 21st?)

Don't keep working MESH SCSI, MACE Ethernet or IDE drivers for Apple G3's a
secret, please!  :-)

Keep up the great work guys!

	- Greg
	  (Hopeful that he'll soon be able to either buy a cheap disk to hang
	   of the outboard G3 SCSI port or boot diskless from his SPARCstation)

P.S. Off-topic, but since it concerns NetBSD and Macs ... anyone have any
     comments on the story at http://www.mactimes.com/features/jones9498.shtml
     and at http://www.sustworks.com/interests/mac_os_x_strategy.html ???

     (The latter page is referenced from the former, but the link is broken.)