Subject: This is what I get for not paying attention...
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/1998 02:22:11
I haven't been following the NetBSD lists for a while, and I just noticed
that NetBSD-macppc is in the tree.  I'm trying to get it to boot.

The machine is a 7500 with 160M memory and a G3 card.  I have a drive I
can dedicate to NetBSD.  I also have a machine running NetBSD-mac68k on the
network, so I can use that for mkfs, bootp, etc.

I've tried the 'bootfloppy-980715' DiskCopy image with no luck.  (It
appears to get all the way through loading and then becomes unresponsive.)
IIRC, I never got booting from a floppy to work with linux-pmac on this
machine, either.  I don't have a way to put a raw disk image on a floppy
(unless someone got the mac68k floppy device working and I didn't notice),
so I haven't tried the 'bootfloppy-980725.fs' image yet.

So, on with the questions:

- Is there anything blatantly obvious that would make this configuration
    fail?
- Is there a more recent boot disk I should be using?  If so, could someone
    make a DiskCopy image of it available?
- Alternately, can I set up the hard disk to be properly bootable without
    the floppy image?  How exactly does 'sysinst' set things up?  Does it
    install a bootblock?  A MacOS disklabel?  (If this is documented in
    the source tree somewhere, a pointer to the right spot will do.)
- As a second alternate, are there tools in the tree to create an xcoff
    version of the kernel that I can net-boot from a bootp server?  (This
    was the boot method I used when I was fiddling with linux-pmac, so I
    know the machine can handle it.)

Thanks,
-- monroe