Subject: Re: G3 - WORKS!!!
To: Tsubai Masanari <tsubai@iri.co.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/23/1998 22:50:22
On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Tsubai Masanari wrote:

> Would you try ftp://nandra.iri.co.jp/pub/NetBSD/tmp/debug-1.fs?
> It has some printf's so that we can binary-search the problem.
> If it boots successfully, you can see:
>
> 0 > boot fd:0 -
> START
> OPEN
> READ
> JUMP
>
> >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.1

It turns out my Open Firmware has a bug in it.

If I take a floppy made on my i386 using the above image, it won't work.
But here's the successful console session:

boot fd:0
		Doesn't work, failing with a DEFAULT CATCH at FF003000
eject fd
		Spit the disk out. Put THE SAME DISK BACK IN.
boot fd:0
		Works. Boots all the way to the single user prompt!

I get all the above disgnostic prompts, and then see something like:

NetBSD/macppc Open Firmware Boot 1.1
booting fd/netbsd
real mem = 67108864
avail mem = 57708854		I'm wondering if this is the problem (*)
using 800 buffers contianing 3276800 bytes of memory
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pci0 i/o enabled, memory enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
pchb0 vendor 0x1057 product 0x0002 revision 0x40
obio0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 addr 0xf3000000
mesh at obio0 not configured
bmac at obio0 not configured
zsc0 at obio0 (offset?) irq 15,16
davbus at obio0 offset 0x14000 not configured
swim3 at obio0 offset 0x15000 not configured
nvram0 at obio0 offset 0x60000
ide at obio0 offset 0x20000 not configured
ide at obio0 offset 0x21000 not configured
adb0 at obio0 offset 0x16000 irq 18
[it found my keyboard and A3 mouse]
[then it found the graphics board]

[complained that the clock jumped 8 days!]

#

:-) Way cool.

Now if we could: 1) make it not need this goofy incantation, and 2) know
how to use a hard disk. :-)

(*) The linuxppc folks say you can't boot linuxppc if you have 64 MB ram.
I thought the problem was once you got linuxppc started. I think it's Open
Firmware. I've downloaded Multibooter 1.0d13f, and it patched the open
firmware. The linuxppc boot floppy now comes up, and spews out a lot of
xcoff info, like tsize =, dsize = , bsize =, entry = 500000
Section
.bss
etc.
etc.
etc.
DEFAULT CATCH! code @ FFF03000 %SRR0: asdfasdf %SRR1: blahblah

So their booter is having the SAME problem the NetBSD one is.

So I tried double-booting the linux floppy. Doesn't work as the memory
allocation from the first attempt is still around, and re-allocating fails
(CLAIM Failed errors).

So I tried fail-booting the NetBSD floppy, then the linuxppc floppy. I
still got the DEFAULT CATCH error. :-(

If I get energetic, I might try pulling the second SDRAM module, but I'm
VERY LOATH to only have 32 MB in this machine! Does anyone know whom at
Apple we can blast to get the 64 MB bug fixed.

Take care,

Bill