Subject: Re: G3 support
To: Tsubai Masanari <tsubai@iri.co.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/1998 22:43:29
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Tsubai Masanari wrote:

> I just put it on ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/bootfloppy-980715.fs.
> It is tested on PowerMac 8500 and G3 MT266.

Thanks!

Unfortunatly I think I have a problem child setup. It didn't work.

Here's what I did:

I downloaded bootfloppy-980715.fs from above to an i386 NetBSD machine. I
then wrote a floppy using dd if=bootfloppy-980715.fs of=/dev/fd0a bs=18k.
I had to use the block device rather than the raw device to get it to
work.

I booted my G3 to the OF console, and typed "boot fd:0".

It clicked the drive a little, and then said, "DEFAULT CATCH at FFF00300
%SRR0 FF80c180 %SRR1 00000070" (I might have copied the SRR1 number
wrong).

Is there a way in OF to go in and see what it thinks the disk looks like?

Suggestions?

Also, the Linuxppc folks get away with just throwing the kernel onto a
MacOS-formatted floppy. Can we do that too? I'd then be much more able to
debug things (right now I have to use a PC at work to make the floppy).

Thanks for the effort!

Take care,

Bill