Subject: Re: G3 support
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/1998 07:32:26
Another note on NetBSD/macppc:

With the sources as of yesterday, I could boot NetBSD/macppc with the results
shown below.

To build the kernel, I had to remove the newly added ofcons entry in the
configuration file and re-activate the previous entries grfati0/ati0/ite0,
that were deleted when ofcons0 was added.

When booting with a serial console, you get the messages below, which
were copied from the console log. In this case the keyboard on the
serial console is active, and I can use it in the dialog for selecting
the root device, although the only valid entry is 'halt'. Halt works
to bring me back to the OF prompt.

When not using a serial console, the output from the kernel is printed
on the PowerMac's monitor, but the keyboard is not working. This is, however,
still progress, as the previous versions did not print anything on the
console unless with a serial console.

Good Work !! I even had to remove some half-baked attempts to bandit.c
to probe the device tree correctly on the G3, but I never got that part working...

0 > boot scsi/sd@6:2
>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.3
>> (tsubai@powermac, Fri May 15 17:53:20 JST 1998)
Booting scsi/sd@6/netbsd
758948@0x100000+138840@0x1b94a4
 start=0x100000
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.3F (HJEMME) #27: Tue Jul 14 20:35:48 CEST 1998
    erik@hjemme.ebe.uni-c.dk:/home/erik/netbsd/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/HJEMM
CPU: Version 8 (Revision 202)
real mem  = 67108864
avail mem = 57851904
using 1200 buffers containing 4915200 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pci0: i/o enabled, memory enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
pchb0: Motorola product 0x0002 (rev. 0x40)
obio0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: addr 0xf3000000
mesh at obio0 offset 0x10000 not configured
bmac at obio0 offset 0x11000 not configured
zsc0 at obio0 offset 0x13000: irq 15,16
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0 (console)
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
davbus at obio0 offset 0x14000 not configured
swim3 at obio0 offset 0x15000 not configured
nvram0 at obio0 offset 0x60000
ide at obio0 offset 0x20000 not configured
ide at obio0 offset 0x21000 not configured
adb0 at obio0 offset 0x16000 irq 18
adb: extended keyboard (ISO layout) at 2
adb: 100 dpi mouse at 3
grfati0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0
boot device: <unknown>
root device:
use one of: halt
root device: halt
syncing disks... done
halted

EXIT called ok
0 > printenv

Build environment:

Macintosh G3 233MHz DT.
NetBSD kernel built on the same machine while running LinuxPPC with GCC/egcs
from the NetBSD sources configure on LinuxPPC as a cross compiler for
NetBSD/macppc.
Root disk image from Nandra installed on a separate SCSI disk. This disk is
mounted by Linux while installing the newly-built kernel.

It is really fun to use the G3 to build NetBSD kernel (which goes reasonably
quick) even if NetBSD/macppc still has no disk or network support on this
machine :-)

PS: Will there be any chance of being able to make it mount the root file
system via NFS, if I "just" borrow and install a PCI-based ethernet card ?

- Erik Bertelsen