Port-mac68k archive

Re: NetBSD/mac68k on Quadra 800

On 4/26/21 5:13 AM, Hauke Fath wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:25:24 +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 12:15:01PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
>>> According to
>>>
> <https://68kmla.org/forums/topic/57360-quadra-650-800-logic-board-differences/>,
>>> the logic board differences between the 650 and the 800 are minimal.
>>> It's mostly about an even more awkward case than the 650's...
>>
>> OK, but I don't know if booting on a Q650 works :-)
>
> In general, this is a well-supported machine, and I used to run NetBSD
> on a Q650 for years. There are plans to re-connect it, but I haven't
> really thrown a current kernel at it since at least netbsd-7.
>
> Cheerio,
> Hauke

I can confirm that the NetBSD 9.1 generic SBC kernel boots on a Centris
650 (which is the same as a Quadra 650 but a little slower). Later I'll
test SCSI, floppy, and the network and report any problems (the ADB
keyboard works).

By the way, if the "traditional method" still doesn't work, it should be
removed from the documentation as a valid way to install NetBSD on
mac68k systems. The last time I tried the traditional method, the MacOS
NetBSD installer could only access the first 1 GiB on the disk, and Mkfs
created filesystems that weren't usable by the installed system (I think
the version of ffs was too old). There are some use cases where the
traditional method was helpful; for example, using a G3 desktop system,
NetBSD mac68k could be installed on an external disk using the
traditional method, then the disk could be moved to the SE/30 -- this
was much faster than installing directly via CD on the SE/30.

-Stan Johnson