Port-mac68k archive

Re: Adding makemandb as build tool for man.db

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 17:15, Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

> David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> >What do people think of the following diff to sysinst to add makemandb=NO
> >to rc.conf on slow or low memory machines:
>
> I would also put run_makemandb=NO in /etc/daily.conf for slow machines.
>
> At least some of the slow machines lack a RTC and it can take a while to
> pick up the correct time from an external source. This can mean that
> cron starts up some daily tasks at the wrong time.
>
> I would also guess that most of the slow machines are not left running
> continuously. Maybe we need to look at what other things would normally
> be run by cron.

On slow/small enough machines you might want to disable cron
altogether (or all of daily/weekly/monthly).

So, it should be easy to add a cron toggle option to configmenu.c, but
if we do this should it:

a) Default unchanged, add a note to release notes
b) Default unchanged, add a recommendation message on screen for very
low spec machines
c) Default off on very low spec machines (probably per arch basis)

David