Port-mac68k archive

Re: NetBSD 7.0 on Mac LC III

Hi,

I'll check into it.  The /var/run/rc.log file seems to be pretty good
about logging what gets run.

Well, each of the scripts in rc.log runs a bunch of other things. It would be interesting to see how many really don't need to run except when things change.

I don't know if anyone's working on [HFS support], but for now you can
use pkgsrc/sysutils/hfsutils. It's a little clunky, but you can use it
to move files back and forth.

Thanks, I'll check into hfsutils (I used to use hfsutils in GNU/Linux
before most distributions started supporting HFS).

It's not great, but it's not bad. I noticed it can sometimes corrupt an HFS volume if used too much, so I've been using an MS-DOS partition on one of my machines to move large, simple (.sit or .img) files back and forth.

If you like, we can try out a size-optimized, m68030 optimized compile
of NetBSD 7. Instead of compiling on an m68030 machine, though, I could
compile it on a faster machine, if you'd like to try it.

ok, I'd be happy to test an optimized kernel.  The kernel that I
(mostly) optimized is 2190082 bytes, with a configuration file included
at the end of this message.  I probably need to learn how to
cross-compile on a faster machine...  Even with this kernel, boot time
is about 20 minutes, and it takes over a minute to login, with minimal
noticeable disk access.

Wow. My VAXstation 4000/VLC is really slow - it's 25 MHz, and the CPU cache isn't working in mine, so it's pokey. But yours really takes the cake!

Hmmm... Maybe I should break out my old 16 MHz Amiga 3000 and see how it does.

I compiled a kernel primarily based on your config file but with a few other things I know can be safely removed. You can get it here:

http://www.klos.com/~john/mac030/netbsd.gz

The rest of NetBSD is compiling now and will probably be done in another hour or so.

If you want to use another machine to compile the whole OS, cvs the source tree (cvs checkout -P -rnetbsd-7 src), then cd src, then:

./build.sh -j `sysctl -n hw.ncpu` -x -m mac68k tools distribution sets

Depending on the speed of your computer and the number of cores, you'll have an entire OS in anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours.

If you want EVERYTHING that comes from the NetBSD servers for mac68k, run:

./build.sh -j `sysctl -n hw.ncpu` -x -m mac68k tools release

John