Port-mac68k archive

Re: Stuck in tstile

At 21:42 Uhr +0000 03.04.2010, John Klos wrote:
>I've seen this problem for a couple of years now, but it happens so
>infrequently that it's hard to pin down. On various m68k Macs on NetBSD
>through 5.99.23, a system will wedge with a process in tstile for no good
>reason. For instance, on a system which has been up and happy for 60 days,
>running "w" stalled; I thought it was taking a while trying to resolve
>reverse DNS, but it never finished and control-t showed it in tstile.
>Control-c or control-z do nothing, and I cannot ssh to it.

Under an alternatibe title "vmmaplk deadlock", I can offer
<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2004/05/04/0002.html> and
<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2006/01/06/0000.html> from my
link collection. The process state appears to have changed its name with
netbsd-3, but from what you say the symptoms are the same which bring my
trusted old IIsi running NetBSD 1.5.4 to its knees every few weeks.

I remember taking out a 'ps ax' from /etc/csh.login because it would
frequently hang the rebooted machine during the first login in exactly that
state. Maybe that could be a way of reproducing the issue for debugging?

        hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost>
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 70