Port-mac68k archive

Re: Failing disk, but disk is good?

At 22:59 Uhr +0100 10.3.2010, Martin Husemann wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>my Quadra 660 AV didn't boot a few days ago (I use serial console usually and
>have the booter in autostart) - so I connected a monitor and tried again.
>It didn't even make it to MacOS, failing at various places with the HD locking
>up apparently.

Does it do that only after power-on, or also when you reset it (that would
be cmd-ctrl-power for models without reset button)? I am typing this on a
Quadra 840 AV that will usually come up half way after power-on, especially
when it has been separated from mains, and needs a reset to come up
properly.

> So I thought the disk was on it's way out, removed it, connected
>it to a vax, and copied all the data to an image (to safe me the pain of
>reinstalling the macos parts of the disk) - and much to my suprise that worked
>without any errors.

Hm - cabling? Termination? I've had hard disk power cables which had bad
contacts, causing the funniest side effects...

>So I suspect the disk is ok, but the mac's power supply is broken.
>Sounds correct? What options do I have to replace the PSU?

I guess that would be the same PSU as in a Quadra 610, or a 6100. For
either, you'll probably pay more for shipping than for the machine these
days.

        hauke