Subject: Re: port-mac68k/37474: After installing a system, booting into it, and mounting /, I get a message saying that the magic numbers don't match upon reboot.
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/13/2007 06:05:42
On Dec 12, 2007, at 10:20 AM, John Klos wrote:

> This is possible, and has happened on many kinds of drives for me, be
> they 500 meg SCSI or 500 gig IDE on SCSI-IDE bridges. What I have
> found that works well (if a bit slowly) is using the Apple HD SC
> utility to auto-partition a drive (just select any of the defaults),
> then making changes. For some reason, Apple HD SC and Drive Setup both
> leave little spaces between the driver sections and partitions. When
> didn't leave spaces, strage things would happen; I'd mount a
> partition, then see no files in it (including . and ..), or I'd start
> to use it, then panic the machine because of filesystem corruption.
>
> The spaces created by Apple HD SC appear to be only 16k or so, so
> you're not losing much by trying.

Before I format my hard drive and reinstall everything again, would
someone please tell me why NetBSD 1.5.3 works fine on my Powerbook 180
with its SCSI-IDE bridged drive and 4.0R5 doesn't?  What has changed
about the way NetBSD recognizes (or fails to in my case) the root/usr
partition that has created this problem?  Logic would tell me that it
isn't about how the drive is configured with Apple HD SC Setup if it
works for one version and not the other.

Tom