Subject: Re: port-mac68k/37474: After installing a system, booting into it, and mounting /, I get a message saying that the magic numbers don't match upon reboot.
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/2007 06:06:53
On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:07 PM, John Klos wrote:

> Was your 4.0 install done on a partition which was formatted with mkfs
> under MacOS, or newfs under the NetBSD installer kernel? mkfs is
> woefully out of date. On the other hand, you may be able to update the
> 1.5 installation to 4 once the filesystem is in use.

I have no other option than using the traditional method to install
BetBSD as I don't have a CD-ROM drive or until Sysinst can install
files from the macos partition.  That would prevent me from updating
the 1.5 installation with Sysinst as well.  Also, when I tried to use
Sysinst to format my Mkfs created partitions and then install a system
on it from the installer utility, it made the disk unreadable to MacOS
and I had to use Mac disk utilities to set everything up from scratch.
  Mkfs was up to date enough to allow me to install 4.0R5 on a root/user
partition and boot into it, but when I mounted / and tried to reboot
into multi-user mode... "magic numbers don't match".

Tom