Subject: Re: port-mac68k/37474: After installing a system, booting into it,
To: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/2007 02:07:48
>> Interesting... yours is the first report of somebody trying to install
>> NetBSD/mac68k on such a drive. While there may be incompatibilities on the
>> SCSI level... how big is your root partition? I dimly recall some of the
>> old MacOS based tools having issues with accessing partitions beyond 1 GB.
>> That's why I usually put the NetBSD partitions first.

What makes the drive special? mac68k has been installed on just about
every kind of drive I can think of.

> Just for the fun of it I formated the root partition (906 MB) and installed
> NetBSD 1.5.3 using the GENERIC kernel.  Everything went fine.  I was able to
> boot into multi-user mode... no problem.  It's not some of the old MacOS
> based tools that have a problem.  My guess is that something has happened to
> NetBSD between version 1.5.3 and 4.0R5, which is plenty, I'm sure.  Again,
> thanks for bearing with me on this little dilemma.

Was your 4.0 install done on a partition which was formatted with mkfs
under MacOS, or newfs under the NetBSD installer kernel? mkfs is woefully
out of date. On the other hand, you may be able to update the 1.5
installation to 4 once the filesystem is in use.

John